Home > Technical > Nato 12 pin connector pins for Penman trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Nato 12 pin connector pins for Penman trailer
Hello,

I'm trying to make up a simple connector / adaptor and short loom to convert 7 pin socket on the Defender to connect with the Nato trailer 12 pin connector on a Penman trailer.

Without naming names, there is a known source of adaptor (nice bit of kit by the looks of it), but the price has just gone up again, to an eye watering shade under £150 when VAT and delivery is included. I cannot justify that. Therefore I'm going a different route. I can't find any jumper cables or anything much at all online that i could cut / butcher, except maybe an empty socket (also expensive). My thought is to connect a 7 pin plug male to the car and wire to the 12 pin socket (I've seen the pin outs, kindly left by others in previous posts - thank you). I can't believe I'm the only one to baulk at the aluminium adaptor price. I have found another source of connector adaptor loom, but that's also very expensive Sad

Question is - does anyone know the part code / description / type (or preferably have a link to) to the crimp / solder pins that are used to house the wires in the Nato socket (i think it's the female socket that sometimes is added to the car and was present on the military Defenders?).

I can't really find anything on a search. Any advice greatly received as usual. Thumbs Up
Post #1033692 3rd May 2024 9:26am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I made my own 7 pin std trailer socket to 12 pin nato socket lead, using a surplus socket I found on a well known auction site.

The socket with a harness is PRC3222, do a search for 12 pin nato socket. There is also a part number for the socket without the harness , I will have to look at mine to find the part number if present on it. I’ve never seen female pins for sale separately.

And yes the D&DE one is a thing of beauty but very expensive to start with and even more expensive now.
Post #1033694 3rd May 2024 9:58am
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Many thanks @Ianh

The socket and loom seems to be at or over £100 delivered (and seemingly not always in stock either), so by the time I've bought a decent 7 pin plug and messed around with it, it's still head-scratchingly expensive. Probably what the D&DE people are very well aware of.

There is another loom with connectors, ready made up from Servicepower NS, but that's similar money to the D&DE one, so on that front D&DE wins. That's a very generous Father Christmas present and that's a long way off!

In my case, I was just hoping to find the pins as I appear to have a much lower-cost solution. They look a bit like bullet connectors (no pun intended) from what i've seen.
Post #1033696 3rd May 2024 10:14am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
As an update, in case anyone is looking for a new socket, not just pins . It’s called a “12P/24V socket with socket contacts (VG 96923 A-12S / MS75021-2)” you need to use the full part number, either VG 96923 A-12S or MS75021-2 in a search to get the socket not the plug. However finding a cheap one is the challenge.
Post #1033707 3rd May 2024 12:16pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The photo of the connector and pins is poor resolution, so i couldn't zoom in and couldn't find it on the actual website either. The various pins pictured come up on google when "nato wiring pins" is put in the search bar, but I could end up trying loads of different ones without success.

Are the wires on the back of the Nato socket moulded / sealed in I wonder?
Post #1033717 3rd May 2024 1:38pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Ianh wrote:
As an update, in case anyone is looking for a new socket, not just pins . It’s called a “12P/24V socket with socket contacts (VG 96923 A-12S / MS75021-2)” you need to use the full part number, either VG 96923 A-12S or MS75021-2 in a search to get the socket not the plug. However finding a cheap one is the challenge.

Good work @Ianh - take Monday off Thumbs Up Whistle Razz Rolling Eyes
Post #1033718 3rd May 2024 1:42pm
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
110Matty wrote:

Are the wires on the back of the Nato socket moulded / sealed in I wonder?

Not sealed but need de pinning tools to remove from moulding and tools to crimp new pins. It adds up quickly if you don’t know anyone working in military or aerospace wiring. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #1033976 6th May 2024 6:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1